It's official. I'm a civil liberties geek. I absolutely detest the idea that IDs should be embedded with RFID chips, simply because they're totally insecure. The fact of the matter is that RFID was never intended to be a secure technology, just like TCP/IP was never meant to be a secure form of communication.
So what is RFID?
Radio-Frequency-Identification. It's the technology that keeps you from stealing library books, tracks shipping pallets in warehouses, unlocks your luxury car, and operates the Exxon SpeedPass. It comes standard with your U.S. passport, and thanks to the RealID act just passed by congress, your next drivers license will have probably have RFID too.
The sad thing is that in order to implement RealID, the feds need state cooperation, and for the most part they've gotten it... with the exception of Montana. Suddenly I like my home state a lot more. If I run into Brian Schweitzer downtown this week, I'm going to fall on my knees and kiss his feet!!... ok, maybe not.. but I'm still excited that someone actually stood up for my civil rights.
RFID is
1) Totally insecure. Anyone with an RFID tag reader can read the contents of the chip. Even if the manufacturer claims that it is "encrypted." see Cracking car keys and Exxon Mobil's Speed Pass.
2) Rather useful when applied appropriately, ie. product and shipment tracking in warehouses. Each pallet of goods is chipped so that inventory can be done automatically at the door. This saves labor, electricity, cuts down on CO2 emissions, etc.
3) Not traceable by satellite. Because the chips are induction powered, a scanner reading them would have to be within several meters. While this does make it harder for an orwellian one-world-government to implement widespread tracking of its citizens, watch out for jealous spouses, creepy stalkers, and UW Grad Students... they may still be able to track you.
So as you go about your daily lives, be wary of the risks and rewards of RFID, and when you get that new passport or drivers license, you might want to invest in a tin-foil wallet to keep yourself safe.
Peace.
3.15.2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I agree that tracing with RFID is evil and invasive. I don't know what would make a person want to use a technology like that for such a perverted means.
Post a Comment